My parents came up again and helped me install the wall cabinets. It turns out that I wasn't happy with the stain I had gotten for the face frames. It would have been nice if I decided this before staining all of the bottom cabinet face frames. I bought and tested (testing really, still putting varnish coats on them) several stains and the Ace Hardware Colonial Maple stain seems to have won the contest. I really like just the varnish but it doesn't go with the wall color.
The tall nettle there has grown even more since the picture was taken, it is now taller than the 6' fence behind it. Many of the prickly weeds got removed from the lawn yesterday but I just couldn't bring myself to take that one down. Couldn't figure out where to start... Speaking of growing things, the peas are doing great but every thing else has started to drown in the near two weeks of cloudy/rainy days we have been having.
The garage now has gutters which means it has soffits (and new fascias) which means that it is less drafty just in time for summer. Really it means that the garage is one step closer to being closed in with insulation so that it can be heated in the winter without just throwing money away. My job is an extra day a week now and I'm looking to buy another house so very little progress will be made on the homestead in the near future. Having to work 5 days a week makes me feel so defeated and downhearted that I've lost all hope of ever finishing this house. I know, whine whine whine. The plan was to get a couple of rentals going once this house was done so that I could quit this job. The plan is now to just get a couple of rentals going.
Ran out of mastic with only two tiles left to install. Big milestone though. My parents were by today to help and we got the island moved out. Time to cut into the floor tiles to get the new island going. This time done right...